MONDAY, OCTOBER 16
- As a class, we will view and discuss manuscript illuminations of everyday life from the Luttrell Psalter as well as William Morris’s medieval-inspired Kelmscott Press book designs, textiles, poetry, and other art.
- Deadline: Materiality analysis (posted to ScholarBlogs by 2pm)
- The Cult of Beauty: The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900
- Two clips from The Art of Gothic documentary
- Part I: “Liberty Diversity Depravity,” intro to 3:38 (on “Gothic”)
- Part III: “Blood for Sale,” 10:47-19:50 (on Karl Marx, William Morris, & John Ruskin)
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 18
- Morris’s News from Nowhere, chs 15, 29, 31, & 32 (78–85, 164–67, & 173–82) (R)
- More Kelmscott Press book designs, textiles, poetry, and other art (we’ll view these in class)
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20
- No reading!
- Introduce Chaucer’s ABC project: Assign stanzas & start brainstorming material edition