Unit 4. Painting, Architecture, and the Garden: Romance and the Romantics
MONDAY, OCTOBER 23
- Guillaume de Lorris & Jean de Meun’s Romance of the Rose, “The Garden of Pleasure,” 3–21 (R)
- Treharne, Ch 6: “Love and Longing” (84–99) (T)
- Browse digital facsimile of Romance of the Rose manuscript. Flip through this manuscript, especially the illuminations in the second window on the page (Aberystwyth, National Library of Wales, NLW MS 5016D).
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 25
- Romance of the Rose, “The Spring of Narcissus,” 22–42 (R)
- Images of medieval gardens (we’ll view these in class)
- Three individual presentations: Jacob, Nya, & Tyler
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 27
- The Public Medievalist’s “Why you hate that museum and how to fix it”
- “A Beginner’s Guide to the Pre-Raphaelites,” Khan Academy
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 28
- Trip to High Museum, 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.